|The original Fort Winfield Scott is now Fort Point. During 1912, the new Fort Winfield Scott opened on the Western side of the Presidio of San Francisco as a command center for the coastal defense of San Francisco and surrounding area. The media of the time referred to the new Fort Scott as the most beautiful fort in the U.S. Army.
Well over a dozen artillery batteries, built during the latter part of the 19th Century, were under the command of Fort Scott. These batteries were located on the Western coast of San Francisco, extending North of the Golden Gate and into San Francisco Bay on such places as Alcatraz Island. Only the Presidio of San Francisco and Fort Mason operated under their own command structure.
During 1946, Fort Scott briefly served as headquarters of the 2nd Coast Artillery Battalion which had been transferred from Fort Monroe, Virginia. With the beginning of the nuclear and missile age, the Army ended Coast Artillery as a military entity. Fort Scott was made part of the Presidio of San Francisco until the Army left San Francisco.
The pictures in this gallery reflect the architecture and ruins from the Fort's earliest days through World War II.
A City Birds digital photo.
Return to Gallery Thirty-two Thumbnail Index